fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

What are you doing in your region about the virus? Poll is created on Dec 08, 2020

Having and experiencing a holiday during COVID

Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

This last year has changed many lives all around the world on how we go about our daily life and what protocols are in place.

We think twice now before we go anywhere, is it safe, and are we protected from the virus? Are we also doing our part to make sure

we don't transmit the disease.

Where I live, you can not enter any store without a mask, you must sanitize your hands before you enter the store and social distance of 2 meters.

Staying home has become the way of life for many, for working and for children attending school, by long-distance learning.

Holidays have been given a new meaning with technology, but that does not make it bad, it is just a change we need to embrace.

Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2020 1:13 pm
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

We have to wear masks here too which is bothersome for me. Not because I am worried about the mask making me sick or anything but because I am a shallow breather who struggles with anxiety. I can't even wear necklaces or tight shirts as I feel like I am not getting enough air. I have dealt with it by having friends and family go shopping for my when I absolutely can't. I know it is for the greater good so I made adjustments for myself.

In terms of the holidays, it won't be different for me. Since my grandparents passed away 5 years ago (they both went within a year of each other), the family stopped getting together in larger numbers. Now it is just my husband and I, my brother (single), my sister (also single), and our parents. Not a big gathering at all. Still though, because of travel restrictions, my brother might not make it this year.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 1:10 am
Kazesenken
(@kazesenken)
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

The biggest trouble for me is entertaining the kid. There's only so much you can defer them away from all of the play areas, restaurants, and friends that they are missing out on.

Having them talk to people on Zoom just doesn't give them the same sense of satisfaction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 2:59 am
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Unfortunately I moved countries away from family in 2019, and have been stuck away from them since. My leaves have piled up and I just took them to sit at home doing nothing. Wish I could visit my family but sadly it isn't possible right now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 4:00 am
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

@nickie85 I understand your difficulty of not being able to wear a mask, here in Canada you can get an exception for several reasons and health and copd and problems breathing. I have found a fabric breathable mask helped but then I am not wearing for very long and go in and out of the stores very quickly and only to get what I need. 

Yes, when the person who is at the hub of the family and keep it together, then all seem to go apart and never find that glue to keep together.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 12:37 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

@kazesenken I agree children do not understand what is happening other than the fact we are saying no to most of the activities children enjoy and just being kids. Since this not going away any time soon, and with winter it is much more isolating for them. 

Many children are not going to actual school but virtual long-distance learning, so that make life even more difficult for some students who are not focused

and have that ability to learn on their own.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 12:40 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

@junamo I can imagine leaving your own country and your family and friends behind and then COVID became a reality and everything changed for the world.

I think the hard part is to establish yourself in a new way, a new home, identity and friendships. Meeting and sharing with someone is not the same, I am sure you miss your family.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 12:57 pm
Simon
(@simon)
Writer’s Assistant

You are right. It is a change that we need to embrace. It actually is the new "normal". It will never ever get any better or any more "normal" than it is right now. Things have changed, and they seem like they will stay like this for quite a while. 

The earlier we get used to this the better for us and the future generation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/12/2020 12:19 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I have found that covid, HAS TAUGHT ME SOMETHING, to be patient and to be kind to others and to say thank you for someone's kindness.

Every time I shop in the store, I thank the cashier, the girls doing the cleaning of each time a cart is used, working non stop to keep us healthy.

I think of the everyday people that keep our country running, what a gift they are!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/12/2020 2:04 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!