fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

How do you handle the passage of time when writing a story?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I know this can depend very much on the story itself and where it is taking place. Some stories can start in the past and skip to the present day, others will jump back and forth, some skip time as a means to keep story development going. How do you tend to handle the passage of time when you are writing your own stories? 

Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2021 11:43 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

There are different ways through which I refer to the passage of time. Sometimes, I use age or year and other times I use a famous event as reference. Life stages such as teenage, adulthood, etc. are also helpful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2021 5:43 pm
Nickie85 liked
Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant

I would describe the objects around the room or environment in which the character is. For instance, if i describe slaves, and horses with chariot, immediately the mind of the reader is switched to the past. But when i mention something like a jet plane, they immediately switch back to present/future depending on the story. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 4:28 pm
Nickie85 liked
Simon
(@simon)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nickie85

I know this can depend very much on the story itself and where it is taking place. Some stories can start in the past and skip to the present day, others will jump back and forth, some skip time as a means to keep story development going. How do you tend to handle the passage of time when you are writing your own stories? 

That is a tricky one. I have challenges myself presenting time to my readers! I settled for dedicating an entire chapter to one period of time and the following chapter goes to the next (future or present time). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 4:41 pm
Nickie85 liked
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!