fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Leaving the title until the story is done?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I have been trying to think of titles for a few book ideas without even having the stories complete. Some stories I didn't even start yet. 

A friend of mine said that I shouldn't even be focused on the titles and just focus on getting the stories written, deciding on the titles after the fact. 

I am wondering now if this is the norm. Do you leave the title until the story is done or do you like to have the title thought up beforehand? 

Topic starter Posted : 03/03/2021 2:45 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

It will come to you as you develop the story, for me, it is like having a baby, from the first moment you find out, your life has changed. I had a few ideas of mine and My husband's, but I did not have a firm name until when He was born and we looked into his eyes, in Judaism a baby does not have a name for a boy the bris and the girl a baby naming ceremony. It is the same with a book, it is your baby.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2021 3:37 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

It will come to you as you develop the story, for me, it is like having a baby, from the first moment you find out, your life has changed. I had a few ideas of mine and My husband's, but I did not have a firm name until when He was born and we looked into his eyes, in Judaism a baby does not have a name for a boy the bris and the girl a baby naming ceremony. It is the same with a book, it is your baby.

That is actually really beautiful and a great way of looking at it. I suppose I should wait to name my stories then. It makes sense the way you explained it. Thanks for your input! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/03/2021 5:38 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

You are most welcome, any time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2021 6:43 pm
Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nickie85

I have been trying to think of titles for a few book ideas without even having the stories complete. Some stories I didn't even start yet. 

A friend of mine said that I shouldn't even be focused on the titles and just focus on getting the stories written, deciding on the titles after the fact. 

I am wondering now if this is the norm. Do you leave the title until the story is done or do you like to have the title thought up beforehand? 

I also prefer worrying about the titles last. Sometimes it can really waste your time. The time that could be better spent developing the story. You can maintain a list of probable titles, as they will keep changing as the story progresses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2021 2:41 pm
Nickie85 liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I think it's fine, your story may give you a better idea for the title.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2021 4:33 pm
Nickie85 liked
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!