fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Should I use slangs?

I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

While writing a story, is it fine to use slangs as per character's background or can it cause issues and make the readers think that it is not written professionally?

Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 5:34 pm
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

If it adds to a character, I think it is okay to use but you have to give context to the story. Like if a story takes place in London and you use British slang, it should be addressed so people understand that the character is using language according to their location. A reader in the US or Canada may not understand it as well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/01/2021 8:16 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

There is no harm in using slangs but use them only when it is necessary. It can help in defining a character, if used in the correct way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 6:18 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I think as long as your writing isn't affected it should be fine. When characters talk or refer to certain things you can use the slang they may use

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2021 7:15 am
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nickie85

If it adds to a character, I think it is okay to use but you have to give context to the story. Like if a story takes place in London and you use British slang, it should be addressed so people understand that the character is using language according to their location. A reader in the US or Canada may not understand it as well. 

I agree. Some slangs are relevant within a country or region so, I will try to use them accordingly. The character would be someone from West Coast. Now, I need to do some research on the slangs that would be appropriate and non-offensive.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2021 10:42 am
Nickie85 liked
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I agree it is also where the story is located and who your reader is and who would be inspired to read the book and the slang gives it that, where it took place.

You might put in the book in the introductory part of some of the words and meanings. I was reading a book about the Amish and Mennonite and they used,

the language I did not understand but the glossary of words made it very helpful for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2021 3:02 pm
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @i-write

I agree. Some slangs are relevant within a country or region so, I will try to use them accordingly. The character would be someone from West Coast. Now, I need to do some research on the slangs that would be appropriate and non-offensive.

Yeah, that is the thing with slang. Some of it will be acceptable in one area and highly offensive in another. Then you have to worry about using the slang that is actually meant to be highly offensive in the area of the story. At least this stuff is easy to find online these days!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2021 4:16 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @i-write

Yeah, that is the thing with slang. Some of it will be acceptable in one area and highly offensive in another. Then you have to worry about using the slang that is actually meant to be highly offensive in the area of the story. At least this stuff is easy to find online these days!

This is the biggest thing to consider. Things that are perfectly okay to you may actually be insensitive to someone else.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2021 6:25 am
Simon
(@simon)
Writer’s Assistant

I guess its ok to use slang. But it should be used sparingly. Some slang are not universal. Geographical specific slang may confuse the reader more. Another risk of slang, is that it may mean something different/bad in another region. I know of some slang in my area, which sound vulgar in English. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2021 11:59 am
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!