fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Do time skips hurt the overall plot?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I have read stories (as well as watched movies and TV series) where they skip forward in time sometimes by a few weeks, a few months, or even a few years. I also felt like this was an easy way to advance a story but in some cases, it comes at a cost because you lose a lot of detail as well as raise a lot of questions from the reader. What are your thoughts on skipping time? Do you think it can or does often hurt the overall plot of a story? 

Topic starter Posted : 07/02/2021 7:12 pm
Veronica
(@veronica)
Content Contributor

It depends on the planning.

For me, I found The Untamed was a good example of a time skip story. It began at a current beginning then eased into the past that lead up to the current point where the story line was played out to a natural conclusion.  The storyline wasn't complicated, but what made the time skipping work was being able to see the characters develop at a logical and graceful pace. Everything had a purpose that worked to reach the end objective. It was a well devised and planned story.  Definitely one that couldn't have been achieved without an outline of some kind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 10:06 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @veronica

It depends on the planning.

For me, I found The Untamed was a good example of a time skip story. It began at a current beginning then eased into the past that lead up to the current point where the story line was played out to a natural conclusion.  The storyline wasn't complicated, but what made the time skipping work was being able to see the characters develop at a logical and graceful pace. Everything had a purpose that worked to reach the end objective. It was a well devised and planned story.  Definitely one that couldn't have been achieved without an outline of some kind.

This is a fair point. I guess if it is not properly planned, it can end up scrambling the story and hurting the direction of character development. I recently read a short story that dealt with time skips and while it was more of a sci-fi story, it still left me a bit confused. It is almost like there was too much and too little happening at the same time, if that makes sense. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2021 3:00 pm
Veronica liked
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Yes like the story I am reading, the main character has flashbacks to the past, which bring her to the present. It helps to understand the character.

lol, or a TV show from the past, a long time ago a whole season of the show, was brought together it was just a dream, lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 5:58 pm
Nickie85 liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Some authors also use this as a way to plan future books. They would have a timeskip in their main book, and have a spin-off talking about events of the time-skip

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2021 2:19 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!