fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Is it hard to write a backward plot?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I have seen this done in movies and TV shows. I have also heard of this being done in books. You start with the ending and work backward in events. I always thought doing something like this would be difficult. I never actually tried myself but writing a store from end to beginning seems like it would take a long time and be a rather hard task. 

Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 8:14 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

It is an interesting topic, the writer of Outlander the Scottish Series, would write a paragraph about a certain theme and time and place, would research historically when it might take place. Then she would weave the tale to be appropriate to time and place, much was fiction, what if being back and experiencing history could time be changed?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 12:19 am
Nickie85 liked
Veronica
(@veronica)
Content Contributor

For me, I find the retrospective plot works best when delivering on a three act outline where each act has a few event milestones to achieve. The characters wants and needs are driven by the event milestones. The event triggers the character personality changes. Generally, when I start at the end, I'm actually starting at the story climax.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 11:11 am
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @veronica

For me, I find the retrospective plot works best when delivering on a three act outline where each act has a few event milestones to achieve. The characters wants and needs are driven by the event milestones. The event triggers the character personality changes. Generally, when I start at the end, I'm actually starting at the story climax.

This is something I didn't consider when pondering this. Interesting! It makes sense that this would work well for many plotlines and stories. How much experience do you have using this method?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/01/2021 4:52 pm
Veronica liked
Veronica
(@veronica)
Content Contributor

@nickie85 I've used it for one of my fantasy series.   I don't really use this method much unless I've completed a full outline with a timeline of events. Looking at the outline, I can see that the retrospective start would work best.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2021 7:35 am
Nickie85 liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Although I've never done this exactly, I do have a few stories I write with an ending in mind (or at least the vague idea of it)

I think a great story is written if you have the beginning and ending in mind, in a very vague way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2021 7:16 am
Nickie85 liked
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

I don't think it is possible to write a story from end to beginning continuously. You can narrate the climax first but when you go back, you have to progress the story in chronological order.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2021 4:43 pm
Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant

Thinking in reverse is fun, but it is not that easy. I tried it sometime last year, it didn't go well. But am still practicing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2021 3:44 pm
Simon
(@simon)
Writer’s Assistant

I have never tried it. But just from the sound of it, it looks hard. You have to think forward first before you think backward i guess. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2021 3:50 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I'm of the opinion that Knowing theending will help you craft the story better. But would also be a bit difficult or maybe make you biased towards the ending.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2021 10:56 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!