fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Should you keep plot twists in mind when in early development?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I know a good plot twist really invests readers into the story and keeps them hooked. When you are in the beginning stages of writing your book and designing the plot and everything else that comes with it, should you also keep plot twists in mind to write into the story or just let yourself stumble onto them more naturally? 

Topic starter Posted : 31/12/2020 5:43 pm
Kazesenken
(@kazesenken)
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Plot twists typically guide where your writing takes you. I would find it difficult to construct a good plot twist without the necessary buildup needed to make it hit as intended. Even if you want to throw in an unexpected event on the fly, there is still the consideration of what happens next. How does your plot twist impact the story as a whole?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/12/2020 8:23 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @kazesenken

Plot twists typically guide where your writing takes you. I would find it difficult to construct a good plot twist without the necessary buildup needed to make it hit as intended. Even if you want to throw in an unexpected event on the fly, there is still the consideration of what happens next. How does your plot twist impact the story as a whole?

I am still very early on and considering things is all. I would like to include a few in my story if I can, just because I enjoy them myself. I was not sure if it would be a good idea to focus on this early on or wait until the idea comes to me as the story progresses. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2021 11:35 pm
Kazesenken
(@kazesenken)
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

@nickie85

I think it would be wise to at least think about how the plot twists would fit into your overall story. Not so much where or how exactly it fits in, but more of a general idea of how it relates to the story.

When forming a plot twist, the key things to consider are: Why does this exist? How does it impact your plotline? Would it give the intended effect that I'm hoping for in the genre I'm writing in?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2021 2:41 am
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @kazesenken

@nickie85

I think it would be wise to at least think about how the plot twists would fit into your overall story. Not so much where or how exactly it fits in, but more of a general idea of how it relates to the story.

When forming a plot twist, the key things to consider are: Why does this exist? How does it impact your plotline? Would it give the intended effect that I'm hoping for in the genre I'm writing in?

This is true. Thanks for the tips. I kind of figured it was best to keep it in mind and really consider how it would/cold effect the story and make the readers feel. I am making little notes in my writing journal on this. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2021 3:41 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!