fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

What are the main differences between a linear vs a non-linear plot?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I am having a hard time understanding this. I could be overthinking it. I just want the easiest and most basic explanation of the differences between the two so I can get a better understanding of my own writing style and where I want to take a few stories I have in mind.

Topic starter Posted : 24/03/2021 6:53 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Linear narrative basically describes a story, action, or events in a sequential manner. Hence, it starts with the beginning, moves to the middle, and terminates at the end.

Nonlinear narrative, on the other hand, doesn’t stick to such a structured format. So, it may start with the middle or the end and then describe the entire action as it happened in the past.

To my mind, the non-linear narrative falls in the realm of experimental fiction where you constantly experiment with comparatively new forms of writing like anti-plot, anti-hero, and open endings.

On other occasions, your writing mimics the functioning of a human mind which jumps from one thought to another at a remarkable pace in a nonlinear fashion.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is an excellent example of a non-linear narrative where the better part of the story takes place in the past and Heathcliff emerges as a strong anti-hero.

However, a budding writer would do well to master the classical format first, and thereafter, once he has gained enough confidence, he can go on and experiment with his style.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2021 12:00 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

Linear narrative basically describes a story, action, or events in a sequential manner. Hence, it starts with the beginning, moves to the middle, and terminates at the end.

Nonlinear narrative, on the other hand, doesn’t stick to such a structured format. So, it may start with the middle or the end and then describe the entire action as it happened in the past.

To my mind, the non-linear narrative falls in the realm of experimental fiction where you constantly experiment with comparatively new forms of writing like anti-plot, anti-hero, and open endings.

On other occasions, your writing mimics the functioning of a human mind which jumps from one thought to another at a remarkable pace in a nonlinear fashion.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is an excellent example of a non-linear narrative where the better part of the story takes place in the past and Heathcliff emerges as a strong anti-hero.

However, a budding writer would do well to master the classical format first, and thereafter, once he has gained enough confidence, he can go on and experiment with his style.

Oh okay! Now I understand it. The way I was reading it and thinking it was made no sense. I have actually seen this done in shows, movies, and of course, books. Good to know. I wasn't even aware it was a thing until a few weeks back and I was puzzled by it. Thank you for the information! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2021 11:11 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

This is a great way to put it! Thanks alot

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 3:49 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!