fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Why do I only feel inclined to write poetry when I am sad?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

It has been several years since I wrote any kind of poetry. When I was younger, I wrote poems all the time as a means to express how I was feeling. A lot of times, my best work and ideas have flown from me through sadness. I never understood why this was. Does anyone else have this happen to them? Where you are only able to write poetry when you are going through times of sadness?

Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 4:48 pm
Silvana
(@cantiara)
Editor-in-Chief

I feel you! Although I enjoy writing all kinds of poems, the urge to write poetry mostly comes when I'm feeling extremely sad or upset. It's just my coping mechanism. Channeling all those negative emotions into words prevents me from going insane.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 7:21 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

When we are emotional we need to find a way to express how we feel, happy-sad or angry or hurt or feel rejected or lonely.

These emotional states help us to cope with what is happening in our lives, often our thoughts are very private and we don't wish to share 

with anyone at first.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 7:57 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

Both of your replies make sense. I guess since my first experiences with it were from sadness, I just used it as a tool to help me cope. Some say the best work in terms of writing comes from a troubled heart. Interesting though when you think about it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/12/2020 10:55 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!