Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Are journals a personal journey?

Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

So here is a question to think about for is writing about one's only personal journey? Is it private like a diary or is it a piece of work shared with others?

I think another word phrase one would use is Vlogging so you are creating content on a regular basis so people learn more about you? Maybe a marketing

a tool to get in touch with like-minded readers and your audience?

What are your thoughts?

Topic starter Posted : 08/12/2020 5:27 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

In my opinion, it is something to keep you motivated. You are announcing to the world that you are working on a project and there is no turning back. Others will be following your journey and some of them will be taking inspiration from you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2020 5:33 pm
EagleEye
(@eagleeye)
Writing Enthusiast

I think how you choose to keep your journal is upto you. Although I prefer text-based so it is easier to search through incase there is some information I am looking for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2020 7:09 pm
Elly
 Elly
(@elly)
Writing Enthusiast

Sometimes a journal is freewriting, nonsense that gets a writer into the flow. Bestselling children's author Gail Carson Levine swears by it, even writing things like "This freewriting exercise is horrible, my thumb hurts, a pop song that I haven't heard in more than ten years is stuck in my head and I don't know why, none of this makes sense cabbage bin flip-flop coral noodle" does something to the flow of writing on some deeper level...does something good, that is. 

Other times, it's research into history. I used to have such a good memory, and so writing down what I remembered was an exercise in translating pure experience into words. Now it's both, because after experiencing something and writing it down, after a long while—not a very long while, which is frustrating—I forget how I described it in writing or even what I experienced. When I re-read those kinds of journals, then I can better remember what I noticed and how I felt while waiting for flood waters to recede from a house I was living in, or what it's like to be infatuated and full of admiration for somebody, or the weather during a vacation to Beijing among other details that must have really been what it was like to be there but I don't remember.

Other times, it's a routine that allows me to process my thoughts and feelings: I have been irritated, and written it out, and during the writing I explored exactly why that specific thing irritated me so much. With the insight came release, and I no longer felt the harmful emotion. It doesn't work as well on years-long frustration and outrage, or deeply-imprinted trauma, but when it works then it works. 

The more public ones can be a marketing tool. I generally like to follow the blogs of Neil Gaiman and Seanan McGuire, for example. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2020 6:29 am
Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

So here is a question to think about for is writing about one's only personal journey? Is it private like a diary or is it a piece of work shared with others?

I think another word phrase one would use is Vlogging so you are creating content on a regular basis so people learn more about you? Maybe a marketing

a tool to get in touch with like-minded readers and your audience?

What are your thoughts?

Yes, sure, you can look at journals as a personal journey. The most engaging and emotional journals are those that talk of the private life or the inside details of the writers life. And yes, vloggin can fall into this category, only with some visual cues to make it even more engaging. 

But on the other side, there are also some fictional journals, that document the life and struggles of a fictional character. The line between the too is too thin to notice the difference sometimes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 2:10 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!