fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Copyright issues even when you have not copied someone?

I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

If you publish your book, can you get into trouble if someone claims that you have copied their work or some part of it, even though, that's not the case? I mean, two people can sometimes think alike so, can this be a problem?

Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2021 7:05 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

First of all it is a sign of the time, I know there are different apps that help if you copied information or plagiarized someone's work.

So yes two people can tell the same story, same time same place, both are different, stand your ground.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2021 11:29 pm
I.write liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I think this usually isn't a problem for most books unless you very clearly rip-off someone's writing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2021 3:02 pm
I.write liked
Elly
 Elly
(@elly)
Writing Enthusiast
Posted by: @i-write

If you publish your book, can you get into trouble if someone claims that you have copied their work or some part of it, even though, that's not the case? I mean, two people can sometimes think alike so, can this be a problem?

Unfortunately, this can happen. Daphne du Maurier kept on getting plagiarism allegations for writing the novel Rebecca

There's a podcast episode out there titled something like "How 4 different people thought up of Harry Potter at the same time", and I think it was Neil Gaiman being the voice of reason saying that this character type is the inevitable antithesis to the stereotypical athletic golden boy hero type of character...instead of a blond boy, this alternative character type is going to have dark hair; instead of being athletic, this character type must use something else to get everything done, like...magic, for an obvious example.  

It can be a problem if the person suing you isn't aware that your sources of inspiration are the same, or that the very premise of their work and your work is going to be different, let alone the laborious paragraphs and description and dialogue, each word being deliberately chosen and so very very very different.

Of course I'll be very sorry to hear if something like that happens to you or anyone here, but on a deeper level we must count ourselves lucky to not be as territorial or litigious as many other lawsuit-happy authors. It must be terrible to imagine being under attack all the time, and leave so little energy for actual writing and enjoying life with loved ones. 

That said, if lines of dialogue or whole paragraphs of description in somebody else's book are like yours, they published later than you did, and yet they're more successful...there's something suspicious there, and you could very well have a case that is in your best interests to push through with. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2021 2:49 pm
I.write liked
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

I am relieved after reading your replies. This was a doubt in my mind for a long time and it's good to know that till the time I am not copying anyone, I can just concentrate on my writing, without worrying about these things.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/01/2021 7:31 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!