fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Is publishing through Amazon good for a first book?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I am talking about the Kindle Direct Publishing program Amazon has. I have seen a lot of short stories, wellness books, and even lengthy fiction stories on there from new writers. Someone mentioned it to me as well. I am nowhere near the stages of deciding where to publish but I am curious about this. I just want to know, has anyone here published through them and whether or not it is a good idea to do it this way for a first book?

Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 1:06 am
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I think it is one of the easiest way to get your work out there, but you're on your own in terms of marketing. As a starting writer it's a great way to "publish" a book and have it easily accessible to thousands. You can share it with friends and family with a single link.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 4:04 am
Nickie85 liked
Veronica
(@veronica)
Content Contributor

I think Amazon is easiest for paperback distribution.  I honestly don't know any other that compares to be honest. Lulu might also work well for personal use copies. For me Amazon is the ideal choice for selling a paperback book product.

I use Draft2Digital and Google Book Partners for eBook distribution. They're the easiest for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/12/2020 6:33 am
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

Thanks for both of your feedback. This is the reason I was considering it. It seems easy to get your book out in the world bit it physical copies, digital copies, or both. I was curious to see if other people's experiences with the platform. I am glad others see it as a good spot for new writers. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 4:39 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

Kindle Direct Publishing is a nice way to get started with self-publishing. The other option that I can think of is Apple Books but I haven't tried it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2020 2:07 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @words-worth

Kindle Direct Publishing is a nice way to get started with self-publishing. The other option that I can think of is Apple Books but I haven't tried it.

I completely forgot they had their own platform for this as well. I will have to look into it as an option and make some comparisons. I have heard great things but also not so great things about Amazon. I don't remember reading much on Apple Books though. I will look into it!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/12/2020 11:04 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nickie85
Posted by: @words-worth

I completely forgot they had their own platform for this as well. I will have to look into it as an option and make some comparisons. I have heard great things but also not so great things about Amazon. I don't remember reading much on Apple Books though. I will look into it!

Yes, they may have a smaller audience (as it would work only on Apple devices) but those would be sort of premium customers so the margins can be higher. Also, there is no harm in experimenting and I plan to give them a try myself, sometime next year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2020 5:02 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I think that any type of publishing is a start as you have something to say that it is published and that is a good basis for then building of funnel of marketing and getting your name out there. Like anything else someone has to know who you are.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2020 3:18 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

I think that any type of publishing is a start as you have something to say that it is published and that is a good basis for then building of funnel of marketing and getting your name out there. Like anything else someone has to know who you are.

This is true as well. Getting my name as an author out there by any means in the beginning helps. I guess I am not only marketing my story/stories, but I am marketing myself as an author. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/12/2020 6:21 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Absolutely not only getting your book out and people finding you, but also the niche of Who you are?

So you web presence, it very important but also done with a logo so it defines you, just by looking at it, a household name.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2020 8:01 pm
Nickie85 liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

The main idea is to have something available that people can purchase. Right now you could show your book to some people and they'd say "Great, I'd love to buy a copy" And you dont know how to get it to them. So publishing on Kindle eases this process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/12/2020 7:25 pm
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @junamo

The main idea is to have something available that people can purchase. Right now you could show your book to some people and they'd say "Great, I'd love to buy a copy" And you dont know how to get it to them. So publishing on Kindle eases this process.

This is another good point. I think it helps with international sales as well because you don't have to be charged insane fees to ship the book to other countries, it is all done digitally. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/12/2020 5:09 pm
Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nickie85

I am talking about the Kindle Direct Publishing program Amazon has. I have seen a lot of short stories, wellness books, and even lengthy fiction stories on there from new writers. Someone mentioned it to me as well. I am nowhere near the stages of deciding where to publish but I am curious about this. I just want to know, has anyone here published through them and whether or not it is a good idea to do it this way for a first book?

Sure, i found it to be the best place to test the waters. But it should be for those quick fun stories that you don't mind if they are copied or reproduced by some people. Plus, the ease of publishing on Amazon, makes writing fun. I have in many occasion done 90 day's challenges, and publish guest posts for free. I am not into writing books, but i look at KDP as a platform for practicing and getting feedback on your writing. Especially when you are just starting out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 1:33 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!