fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Creating an ambiance around my story

Jeremy
(@jeremy)
Writer’s Assistant

I want to create a certain environment around my story, but i don't know how to do this. I'd like to depict a serene ambiance, cool and dark with an ocean breeze. But i can't express that in words! 

Do you get what i mean? Any tips please?

Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2020 11:19 am
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

A tip that I have gotten is to NOT have a info dump explaining everything. Instead try to mention things that the character would see or feel.

Example:

Instead of

"The forest was covered in bushes, the ground was muddy and the blazing temperature did not help John."

Write something like

"John pushed through the forest, his pace a lot slower as he trudged through the mud. Reaching the edge of the forest, he pushed through the surrounding bushes, the sun shining brightly in his face."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 4:53 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

It is like creating the first scene, the act...giving the reader why he wants to keep reading...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2020 1:16 am
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

Try to put yourself in character's footsteps and describe the scene. Close your eyes and feel the ambiance. It will be easier for you to describe it. If you are still unable to put it in words, view such a scene on youtube and try to describe it in an interesting way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2020 3:14 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @words-worth

Try to put yourself in character's footsteps and describe the scene. Close your eyes and feel the ambiance. It will be easier for you to describe it. If you are still unable to put it in words, view such a scene on youtube and try to describe it in an interesting way.

This is a good way to anecdote it, but as I mentioned beware of adding too much information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2020 2:17 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!