fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Do you prefer to use a certain season? Does it matter?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I know of several books that start with or at least highlight the current season the story is taking place in. Many will start with summer or winter but there are also stories that start in the fall or spring, depending on the location and story I suppose. Do you prefer to use a certain season when writing your stories? Do you think it matters or makes a difference for readers? 

Topic starter Posted : 20/01/2021 8:12 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

A book follows the seasons, winter is mostly looked at a cold and death, or what to endure before the spring happens. Like a cross to bare, the unrelenting cold,

lack of food, the difficulty of everyday tasks to complete.

Spring, on the other hand, was looked forward to with a rebirth of life of the land, the animals and humans, spark of love in the spring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2021 12:22 am
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

A book follows the seasons, winter is mostly looked at a cold and death, or what to endure before the spring happens. Like a cross to bare, the unrelenting cold,

lack of food, the difficulty of everyday tasks to complete.

Spring, on the other hand, was looked forward to with a rebirth of life of the land, the animals and humans, spark of love in the spring.

I have noticed this. It seems winter tends to express despair, loss, hatred, emptiness, etc. while spring is new beginnings, hope, enlightenment, growth, etc. 

But what about summer and fall? What are your takes on those and which season to you prefer when it comes to your own writing? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/01/2021 4:54 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

I would prefer something like - summer was about to end. It also depends on the situation. If I want to start something on a positive note, I would prefer spring. For something related to suspense, I would prefer winters.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2021 4:34 pm
Nickie85 liked
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I like writing for winter, I feel like I can be a lot more descriptive about outfits and environment when it's winter.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2021 1:50 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @words-worth

I would prefer something like - summer was about to end. It also depends on the situation. If I want to start something on a positive note, I would prefer spring. For something related to suspense, I would prefer winters.

This makes sense. Thanks for your input. I noticed most stories tend to follow a set of unspoken rules around seasons I was curious. The end of summer is a good starting point, especially if your story includes kids, teens, or young college students. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/02/2021 5:50 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

@nickie85 Summer is the best time for teenage based stories actually, Reminds me of Paper Town

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2021 3:23 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!