fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Do you think referencing music in story telling helps set the mood/vibe for a location?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I know some writers will do this while telling their stories to help give emotion and set a tone for the area the story takes place or specific areas throughout the story. Do you think this is a good thing to do or is it not necessary? I haven't quite figured out how to write this kind of context into a story. I know it has been done though. 

Topic starter Posted : 26/12/2020 3:35 pm
Elly
 Elly
(@elly)
Writing Enthusiast

I think it's usually unnecessary, but if it is simply too perfect to pass up in this case then follow your heart. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2020 9:48 am
Nickie85 liked
Kazesenken
(@kazesenken)
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Music, like any other sound specifially described, can add to the visualization of a scene. While you wouldn't want to fling around background music like a TV show or movie typically has, describing touches of music can create the tone.

Having a character hear the smooth notes of jazz upon entering a room creates ambiance to the setting. The sounds of festive trumpet playing or drumming gives the reader a sense of understanding that the character stepped into a party without needing to be told.

It really depends on how you use it. Add it if you think it brings something to the scene. Otherwise, it could be an unnecessary distraction, like when writers add excessive detail that have little to do with the story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/12/2020 8:21 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @kazesenken

Music, like any other sound specifially described, can add to the visualization of a scene. While you wouldn't want to fling around background music like a TV show or movie typically has, describing touches of music can create the tone.

Having a character hear the smooth notes of jazz upon entering a room creates ambiance to the setting. The sounds of festive trumpet playing or drumming gives the reader a sense of understanding that the character stepped into a party without needing to be told.

It really depends on how you use it. Add it if you think it brings something to the scene. Otherwise, it could be an unnecessary distraction, like when writers add excessive detail that have little to do with the story.

That is what I was thinking. It might end up adding in too much detail which is what I was worrying about. I know it can be wonderful for the right scene but if it is not written in properly, it can almost add in a level of excessive reading that puts the reader off instead of pulling them further into the story. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/12/2020 1:30 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

Yes, I think it can set the right mood for a scene, if applied correctly. However, if you are not confident, you may refrain from doing so. If the need be, just reference the genre of music playing in the background.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2021 6:17 pm
Nickie85 liked
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!