fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Fictional or Real Places?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

In your opinion, which is better? I know some people will use fictional places when they are telling a story based on real-life events and others will use real places when telling a fictional story. It can go both ways. I am considering making up a place that is not real but I am wondering if it might not be easier. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

Topic starter Posted : 09/12/2020 4:54 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

I find it easier to mention real places. If I want to portray something that would offend the people of a particular place or something that won't be possible at that location, I would use a fictional setting. Also, it is easier for people to relate to real places.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2020 1:01 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @words-worth

I find it easier to mention real places. If I want to portray something that would offend the people of a particular place or something that won't be possible at that location, I would use a fictional setting. Also, it is easier for people to relate to real places.

That is actually a good point. You don't want to use a real location and risk insulting a person's culture or anything like that. Using a fictional place seems like the better choice when it comes to that but otherwise, you do make a good point about people being able to relate to real places more in a story. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/12/2020 11:00 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I tend to write more fantasy work so definitely fictional places, although some places are based heavily on real life places.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2020 7:25 pm
Nickie85 liked
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

I like to write about real places. The characters and stories are usually fictional but real places give something to write about.  Also, people can either relate to it or they are curious to know about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2021 12:28 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

It depends on where your story takes place, it can be in the real world but also it can be fictional, it is all up to you. You can create a real place out of fiction, it can happen. Think about Harry Potter, Hogwarts..became an actual school and real place. Any place can have a name created and where it is close to, like a romance fiction, by the sea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2021 2:12 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!