fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Should you include holidays?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

This is something I have wondered about for a while. It seems like most movies and TV shows will include holiday themes in their stories even when they are not directly related to being part of said holidays. But what about books? If I am telling a story that has nothing to do with Christmas, or Halloween, or Easter... Should I still include them to display the passage of time or is it not necessary? 

Topic starter Posted : 24/02/2021 1:58 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

it depends the time of year and where the book is written which country as holidays religious or part of the country become a focus of the story. Not in the entire book but something to bring flavor into the book. Like it shows how the seasons are changing, like think of winter ending and to the coming and longing of spring.

So Easter or other celebrations, would come to mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2021 5:46 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @nancymac

it depends the time of year and where the book is written which country as holidays religious or part of the country become a focus of the story. Not in the entire book but something to bring flavor into the book. Like it shows how the seasons are changing, like think of winter ending and to the coming and longing of spring.

So Easter or other celebrations, would come to mind.

That is a fair point and a good observation. If the story takes place in say, New York City, and you do go through the passage of time of like a year or something, would it make sense to touch on it in the story even if there is not direct impact? I mean like in this case, you only speak on it lightly and not in great detail.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/02/2021 10:49 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Also NYC ok, places of visit Times Square, the haunts, the subway, the regions of boroughs, to make it believe able, like a meeting where...Central Park, it makes it real. Manhattan, etc. The important landmarks, I have only been to NYC twice but I seek more in another time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2021 11:08 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

That is another thing I didn't think of when using real places in a fictional story. I guess for people who live there or who have visited there, it would be more impactful for them to read about the places they love and the things they have seen. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2021 12:51 am
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Holidays is great to include, especially for certain things you may be trying to get across in your story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2021 8:40 pm
Harry
(@harry)
Writing Enthusiast

It's not mandatory to include festivals. But, If story event needs or a time in story coincides with a festival, it wouldn't hurt to incorporate an festival. People relate with festivals and your story would find better connect with the audience.

A well written book whose story revolves around a festival wouldn't be bad idea too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2021 5:38 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

Yeah I think when you're going through a characters life, it would be unnatural to ignore these events that may or may not play a huge role during their timelines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 7:14 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!