fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

Vocabulary for children's book

I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

I would be writing some short stories for children's book. I am confused if I should use simple language or use some uncommon words as well so that it would make them learn new words. I don't want them to stop reading because of difficult words. At the same time, I would like them to increase their vocabulary.

Topic starter Posted : 10/01/2021 6:05 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

It would depend on your target audience. If the stories would be for small kids, you need to use simple words. If the book is for primary kids, you may use a mix of simple and tough words. Also, if the audience is native English speaking, you can use a range of words as compared to kids who primarily don't speak English.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2021 2:08 pm
Nancymac
(@nancymac)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I feel that you keep the vocabulary simple for the child to understand, even if an adult is reading the book to the child, for learning and recognizing words and association.

Also using catchy word phrases that the child can repeat, such as the story of the Gingerbreadman, run run as fast you can! I teach English to children of all ages and also those that English is not their first language. The little girl was so excited as she was able to repeat that part of the story. I take short stories and animate them, like a storyteller.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2021 3:41 pm
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Some of the readers may not have English as their first language so, I would try to keep the words simple but engaging.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2021 5:13 pm
Junamo
(@junamo)
Popularity!
Writer’s Assistant

I suggest sticking to common words unless the aim of your book is to teach bigger words

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2021 10:02 am
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!