fbpx

Follow us on social media!

Notifications
Clear all

What length is typical for a short story?

Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant

I never was able to find a clear answer to this so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knew. I think short stories are a good way to feel out a rough draft of a potential longer story and see how readers react and how you, as the writer, feel about it after a bit of time goes back when you reflect back and read it again. 

So what is the typical length for something like this? 

Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2021 3:51 pm
words.worth
(@words-worth)
Writer’s Assistant

It can vary from person to person but from what I have seen, a short story is usually between 5,000 to 10,000 words. Of course, if you can concisely write your story in less than 5K words, you may still consider it as a short story but usually that's not the case.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2021 6:35 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @words-worth

It can vary from person to person but from what I have seen, a short story is usually between 5,000 to 10,000 words. Of course, if you can concisely write your story in less than 5K words, you may still consider it as a short story but usually that's not the case.

5,000 sounds right as a minimum when I am thinking back on things I have written. I have some blog articles that are around 1,200 and while they seem big, I would not be able to properly tell a story in so few words. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/01/2021 6:22 pm
I.write
(@i-write)
Writer’s Assistant

7,000 to 8,000 words is the average length. The longest I have written is around 9,500 words. I love short stories as they always keep you interested and are to the point. I doesn't take a lot of time to write them and you can finish reading them in no time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2021 4:27 pm
Nickie85 liked
Nickie85
(@nickie85)
Writer’s Assistant
Posted by: @i-write

7,000 to 8,000 words is the average length. The longest I have written is around 9,500 words. I love short stories as they always keep you interested and are to the point. I doesn't take a lot of time to write them and you can finish reading them in no time.

I have always been a fan of them as well because I am not an avid reader. If the book is too long, I tend to stop reading it and never pick it back up again. I prefer to be able to read a book within a week's time since I have issues picking them back up and finishing them.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/01/2021 5:38 pm
Share:
error: Alert: Content is protected !!